Saturday, June 7, 2008

Chicken, Goat cheese and Spinach Quesadillas with Salsa Verde

I made this because I was in the mood for a quick dinner. I also have a very special place in my heart for goat cheese, and so this recipe uses a lot of it. The result was very tasty, and very filling. Be careful when pulling apart the poached chicken, as it might still be hot in the middle (I burnt my fingers). This would also be good with sour cream, but I forgot to buy it while I was at the store.

Quesadillas

Makes 2 quesadillas

2 Tortillas (burrito sized)
5 oz Goat Cheese
3 tablespoons pesto
1 chicken breast
2 cups chicken broth
¼ cup finely chopped Vidalia onions
1 Tbs chopped garlic
Cooking spray

1. Put the chicken breast in a pot with the onions and garlic, cover with the chicken broth. Bring the mixture to a boil, and continue cooking until chicken is cooked through. Pour the mixture out into a colander, and set aside to cool.

2. Quickly wilt the spinach in a pan over medium heat.

3. Spray one side of each tortilla with cooking spray. Place that side down. Divide the pesto in half, put half on each tortilla and spread it around evenly around the tortilla. Crumble half of the goat cheese onto each tortilla.

4. Shred the chicken into a bowl, add the onions and garlic from the colander. Mix in the spinach. Divide the chicken mixture among the two tortillas, putting the mixture on half of each tortilla. Fold the tortillas in half.

5. Place the tortillas on a baking sheet. Put them under the broiler. Bake until the side of the tortilla that is up is golden and crispy. About 90 seconds. Flip the tortillas and crisp the other side. Cut up and serve.

Salsa Verde

Makes ~1 ½ cups

½ pound tomatillos, husked and washed
1/3 cup fresh cilantro
2 green onions
¼ cup white onion
1 Serrano chili pepper, stem and seeds removed*
2 cloves garlic, skinned
1 Tbs olive oil (I used roasted garlic oil)
½ tsp sugar
¼ tsp salt
Lime juice to taste

1. Mix all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until slightly chunky.

*you might want to wear gloves when you cut up the pepper. I didn’t and my hands burned for the next several hours. Ouch!

No comments: