Sunday, August 10, 2008

Peachy Keen



I still had lots of peaches left over after making the peach cupcakes from my last post (I picked pounds of the things). However, I had to decide on something to do with them. I considered pies, cobblers, and crisps, but I wasn’t feeling inspired. They also all required ingredients that I didn’t have in my kitchen, and I didn’t want to go shopping. Eventually I was struck by inspiration, peach ice cream. The result was this post, a spiced peach ice cream, that I think is quite tasty. I based my recipe on a recipe I found online for peach brown sugar ice cream (if you search for peach brown sugar ice cream, the same recipe comes up over and over posted on a variety of websites). However, instead of brown sugar, I used muscovado, which I thought added some depth of flavor that would have been lacking otherwise. If you can’t find or don’t want to bother with muscovado, use dark brown sugar.

Spiced Peach Ice Cream

Makes 1 Quart

4 peaches, pureed or finely diced*
1 ¼ cup muscovado, firmly packed
1 Tbs lemon juice
1 ½ cups whole milk
3 eggs beaten
2 tsp vanilla paste
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1 ½ cups whipping cream

*I pureed the peaches in my food processor with their skins on, and then sieved the mixture to remove whatever didn’t puree. If you are finely dicing the peaches, you should probably skin them first

1. Put the peaches, ½ cup of the sugar, and the lemon juice in a bowl. Whisk to combine. Cover and place in the fridge.

2. In the bowl of a double boiler set over medium heat, mix the eggs, the remaining sugar, the whole milk, the vanilla, and the spices. Whisk the mixture continuously, until it thickens enough to cover the back your spoon or reaches 175 degrees on a candy thermometer. Once it gets to that phase, immediately remove from heat.

3. Slowly whisk in the whipping cream. Then whisk it all into the peach mixture. Let chill in the fridge, and freeze according to your ice cream maker’s directions.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Spiced peach ice cream? That sounds incredible! Definitely a unique and delicious way to use leftover peaches. :)