Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Another Pound Cake

My softball team was having a cookout on Sunday, so I decided I would make pound cake. I’ve made Dorie Greenspan’s Perfect Pound cake before, so this time I thought I would try the Pound Cake Recipe from The Best Recipe. I thought that resulting pound cake was excellent, moist, good crumb, and nicely dense. I did think it could have used a little more flavor, and I think upping the vanilla would be a good idea, or switching to vanilla paste. I would definitely rate this pound cake highly though.

The Best Recipe Pound cake

Makes 1 9 x 5 loaf

½ pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened 
1 1/3 cups sugar 
3 large eggs, plus 3 large yolks, room temperature 
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract 
1 ½ tsp water 
½ tsp salt 
1 ½ cups cake flour

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 9 x 5 x 3 loaf pan, line it with parchment paper. Place butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium-high until butter is smooth and shiny, about one minute. With the machine still on, gradually add the sugar over about 30 seconds. Continue beating the mixture until light and fluffy, about 4 to 5 minutes.

2. Mix the eggs, yolks, vanilla and water together in a measuring cup. With the mixer still on pour the egg mixture into the butter in a very slow stream. Beat in the salt.

3. Sift ½ cup of flour over the batter and fold it gently in. Repeat two more times until flour is fully incorporated.

4. Scrape batter into prepared baking dish. Bake for 70 to 80 minutes, until cake is golden and a cake tester inserted into a center comes out clean. Remove cake from the pan, let cool.

No comments: