Sunday, May 25, 2008

Mimosa Meringues



This is an extension to the champagne meringue frosting I made for my last post, and an extension to my Sugar High Friday post. If I could add champagne to powdered egg whites, why not a mixture of champagne and orange juice to make mimosa meringues. The result was underwhelming, but I think that might be the result of my inexperience with meringue cookies. The meringues lacked that nice chewiness I’m used to in the center of a meringue. They were also a little coarse. My two guesses as to what went wrong are that I didn’t put in enough sugar, or that I over cooked them. Anyway, the recipe is below, and I would encourage someone who knows more about meringues than I do to play around with this, because I think a lot of potential exists here

Mimosa Meringues

Makes ~30 cookies

1 ½ Tbs egg white powder
¼ Cup dry champagne
1/8 Cup pulp free Orange Juice
2 Tbs superfine sugar

1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Mix the orange juice and champagne in a measuring cup. You want a total of 3/8 cup of liquid, adjust the ratios of champagne and OJ to your preference.

2. Put the egg white powder into a bowl. Pour the liquid over the egg white powder. Beat with an electric mixer at high speed until the mixture becomes frothy.

3. Add the sugar, continue beating until the mix reaches stiff peaks. Pipe the mixture onto a parchment (or silpat lined baking sheet. Leave ~1 inch between each cookie

4. Bake for about an hour on the top rack of the oven, or until they dry, but not yet brown. Turn off the heat in the oven and open the oven door, let the meringues rest for another 30 minutes or so.

I also tried to make some Grapefruit-Champagne meringues (I’m told this is called a moonwalk?) They didn’t work. I have a feeling it’s because I put them on the bottom rack of my oven, but maybe it’s something to do with the grapefruit juice? The recipe is the same as above, but with grapefruit juice instead of OJ.

No comments: