Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Stir Fry Noodles with Peanut Sauce

I’ve had some rice noodles in my pantry for a long time now. I bought them way back when I made pad thai last summer, and then set them in the back of the pantry and forgot about them until today. I wanted to make dinner without going shopping, so I decided to use them this week. I combined the method I learned to make pad thai with one of my favorite peanut sauces for stir fry, and I was very pleased with the results. I made this just for myself, so the recipe makes only one serving. Use whatever vegetables you like in stir fry, I used broccoli, grated carrots, green onion, bean sprouts, and water chestnuts. This recipe is easily made vegetarian by replacing the chicken broth with vegetable broth and omitting the chicken and fish sauce.

Stir Fry Peanut Noodles

For sauce:

1 T peanut butter
2 T Chicken Broth
1 T Low Sodium soy sauce
2 t honey
2 t mirin (rice wine)
2 t rice vinegar
1 t fish sauce
1 t thai chili paste (optional / to taste)

 

For Stir Fry

2 cloves garlic, finely diced 
2 tsp diced ginger 
½ cup rice stick noodles 
½ cup diced chicken 
½ cup vegetables to stir fry 
1 T sesame oil

1. Put the rice noodles in a pot of warm water. Let the noodles sit in the water for 15-20 minutes, until noodles are flexible, but still al dente

2. Put the oil in a wok or large pot over medium high heat. When the oil is hot enough that water boils on contact, add the ginger and garlic. Stir fry for 30 seconds.

3. Add the diced chicken and continue stir frying. Add a tablespoon of the sauce. Some of it will burn to the bottom of your pan, don’t worry about it.

4. When the chicken is cooked through, add the noodles, the vegetables, and the rest of the sauce. Stir fry the mix. Cook until the vegetables and noodles are cooked, 1-2 minutes. Immediately remove from heat and serve. 

No comments: