Sunday, May 31, 2009

Mixed Nut and Chocolate Cookies


It turns out I have had some time to bake while here in DC for the summer, so I decided to make some cookies to bring into the office. My original intention was to make cashew butter cookies with white chocolate, but the store was out of cashew butter, so instead I used almond butter. But, it turns out I didn’t have enough almond butter, so I had to use some peanut butter. And of course, the ground nuts I used (I chopped them with a knife), were cashews. Hence why these are a mixed nut cookie. I also used both white and semisweet chocolate chips in these cookies. Overall, I’m not positive the variety of nuts or nut butters really came through, it might have been easier to just use peanut-butter, but the cookies themselves were excellent. The recipe is based on one I found here. I made these cookies small, and doubled the recipe when I made it, which made a huge number of cookies, nearly 150.

2 1/2 c flour 
1/2 tsp baking powder 
1/2 tsp baking soda 
1 tsp salt 
16 Tbs (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened but still cool 
1 c brown sugar 
1 c granulated sugar 
1 c almond butter 
2 large eggs 
1 T vanilla 
1 c cashews 
6 oz. white chocolate chips 
6. oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips.

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.

2. Beat the butter until creamy. Add the sugars and beat until fluffy. Add the vanilla, followed by the eggs one at a time.

3. Beat in the almond butter. Stir in the flour mixture, followed by the chopped cashews and the chocolate chips.

4. Roll the cookie dough into 1 T sized balls. Place on cookie sheets 1-2 inches apart. Bake for 11 minutes, or until just browned. Remove from the oven and let cool.

1 comment:

CookiePie said...

They certainly sound delicious! I love the nut and chocolate combos!