Wednesday, April 30, 2008

One Down


We had our first final of the semester today. To relieve stress after, I decided to make some cookies. I had seen a recipe for buttermilk cookies with lemon on Orangette, and decided to give those a try, mostly because they used only ingredients I already had in my fridge. They also let me take advantage of the buttermilk and lemons I had left over from my last posting.

The cookies turned out delicious. They were nice and cakey, with a light lemony taste that just begs out for a cup of milk or tea. The recipe is simple enough that I didn’t bother to take pictures of the process.

For the cookies:
1 ½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp. grated lemon zest
¼ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
6 Tbsp. (3 oz.) unsalted butter, at room temperature
¾ cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
½ tsp. vanilla extract
1/3 cup well-shaken buttermilk

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees

Mix the flour, lemon zest, baking soda and salt in a bowl

Cream the butter in a mixer, once the butter is creamy, add the sugar and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy

Add the egg and beat till combined, then add the vanilla and beat briefly until mixed

Alternate adding the flour and the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the flour

Measure out the dough by level tablespoons separated by 1.5 inches onto a parchment lined baking sheets. Bake the cookies for around 11 minutes, until they are golden and fluffy.



For the glaze:
¾ cup confectioners sugar, sifted
1 ½ Tbsp. well-shaken buttermilk
¼ tsp. vanilla extract

Whisk all the ingredients together in a bowl until smooth. Make sure there are no lumps.

Spoon the glaze onto the cookies. Over at Orangette they said the glaze would make more than enough, but I found it came up just short.

Makes 30 (Over at Orangette she said the recipe makes 40, but I don’t know how that’s possible).

No comments: